Why do web visitors love reading list posts? For those who don’t know, a list post is an article written in a list format. The list could be anything under the sun; it can be a list of: life hacks, useful shortcuts, product recommendations, movie suggestions, video tutorials, beauty tips, fashion trends, and many more.
A list post is the second most favored type of post among readers. Basing from the most number of social media shares and likes, infographic tops the list. However, the list post comes close, and it’s no surprise why many list posts go viral all over the internet.
Why is this?
It is want our brains want. Of course, the human brain processes millions of information every single day. It is tiring to constantly deal with heaps of information and convert them to something understandable. The brain wants things easy and direct to the point so that it won’t waste too much energy on deciphering everything.
In short, list posts are everyone’s favorite because:
- it grabs the readers’ attention.
- there are no unnecessary details.
- it is helpful and convenient.
- lastly, it is straightforward and easy to understand.
Just a little trivia for you: One Mashable article gained more than 1,100 social shares in just the first 7 hours after it was published. Isn’t that amazing?
A list post is an entertaining and pleasant read for 5 main reasons:
- If you are blogging within specific field of expertise, then it is imperative to do a list post – as it is extremely helpful in explaining complex topics. This is your chance to share what you know by imparting valuable tips and giving your readers a heads up on what’s in and what’s not.
- Plus, list posts are easy to scan and easy to read. You will spare the wandering eyes from scanning through huge chunks of information. A wordy paragraph will definitely bore people.
- You get to inspire other people to do the same. My personal favorites are: Top Ten Techniques a Hacker May Have Already Tried on You, 15 Undeniable Truths About Book Nerds, and YA Books for Gamers! So, write away because you might just inspire someone to blog.
- A list post will always cater to people who love to multitask. Even if you are busy with other things to do, going through a list post will just be a breeze for you.
- It’s a win-win situation for both the reader and the writer. The reader gets an easy to understand post filled with bullets and numbers while the writer won’t have to conjure complex sentences. Simple sentences are fine. Even phrases are okay too!
Here are 6 list posts that I wrote:
- How to Assess Your SEO Strategy (Part 1)
- Exceptional and FREE Keyword Research Tools
- SEO Factors to Closely Track This 2019
- SEO Habits That Are Still Relevant Today
- Must-Have Modern Web Design Elements (Part 1)
- How to Increase Your Conversion Rate with Images
By the way, keep your eyes peeled for part 2 because I will share tips in writing the perfect list post for your blog.