Sadly, like in any workplace, there are no shortcut to success. In SEO, things are even harder because the field itself is vast and it constantly changes.
However, there are specific characteristics that will make you stand out from the rest of the SEO consultants out there. Today, let us begin to tackle the ways on how to level up your SEO knowledge.
- Start with knowing your goals.
- Every time that I can, I always remind the audience that goal setting is very important. As discussed in The Things That SEO Tools Will NOT Tell You, no matter how sophisticated the tools you will use in SEO, all those things are useless if you don’t know your goal.
- At this point, you should be able to clearly identify what you want to achieve. You also need to categorize your goals, and know what the attainable ones are. If goals take time, then, assign it to an expert or a team that can handle it well.
- With knowing your goals, it is impossible to move forward. If you don’t know what you want, then, how can you say that your project was a success or not?
- Remember, each website has different goals. One may want an increased website traffic. Meanwhile, others may want to improve keyword rankings. Perhaps, one may say a want more organic clicks. Thus, you should be able to detect what metrics to monitor depending on the agreed goals.
- Let your clients understand what SEO truly is.
- Next, you should inform and educate people. You have to remind people that this isn’t a magic show. SEO results won’t just magically appear in front of their eyes!
- Nurture the relationship of your clients by setting realistic expectations on the anticipated results. Moreover, they should have a clear understanding on what they should contribute to the project. After all, a website project is not a one-man team. It takes a whole village to organize everything.
- You may have knowledge in SEO, but let’s face it, there are still other aspects of running a website such as email marketing, social media marketing, web design, and so on. No one can be knowledge of every area in the digital realm.
- Even in the topic of SEO, there are numerous subtopics under it such as technical SEO, keyword research, off- page SEO (or better known as link building), on-page SEO, and so on.
- Aside from all these things, the SEO landscape is continually evolving. If your client knows the SEO from 5 years ago, then, they probably know of the Outmoded SEO Practices.
- Know where your client is at, and start from there. Catch up on the areas that needs improvement. If they don’t know the basics of SEO, then, spend time teaching them about the SEO terminologies and phrases before going into details. You can only have a strong foundation of SEO if you make time in teaching your clients. Besides, if you have discussed difficult topics early on, you will less likely to encounter complications in the future.
Next? Read the Tips in Being an SEO Consultant (Part 2) for more.